PLC accessories are devices and gadgets required for the optimum performance of a programmable logic controller. These accessories include interface splitter boxes, communication cassettes and front connectors. The type of PLC you're using will determine the accessories needed.
Types of PLC accessories
A programmable logic controller receives and transmits electronic signals in any kind of electrical system. Because of this flexibility in interfacing, there are a wide range of accessories that suit different controllers. As PLC's come in various sizes, the accessories needed depend on various factors such as the input/output requirements, cable length and range.
- Cables and connectors - available in a wide range including HMI, USB and ethernet connectors and cables.
- Expansion modules - are the ideal solution for the acquisition and management of applications. They read and condition data from strain gauge load and communicate basic weight data back to the processor.
- I/O modules - are one of the three core components that operate a PLC. I/O refers to input/output. PLC I/O modules act as messengers between a processor and an I/O device.
- Power supplies - Some power supplies are embedded with switches for selecting a particular programming mode or protecting the memory. A low DC voltage output powers the various modules as well as the integral battery.
- Programming software - is the collective term referring to the data and instructions provided to a PLC via various types of programming languages. These instructions are executed by the plug-in time switches (CPU) to operate, monitor and control machinery and equipment.
- Racks and enclosures - are the perfect solution to mounting the modular components that hold everything together within a programmable logic controller. They're available in different sizes and mounting types including DIN rail.
- Training manuals - offer a clear, visual explanation of the system and processes.
How to choose the right PLC accessories
Accessories for PLCs can be chosen depending on the application you need them for. For example, water treatment devices will require different PLC accessories to metallurgy systems. The range of accessories includes batteries, cables, connectors and adapters. A battery backup is used by some to protect valuable memory and data in the event of a power outage.